Weave, and Pass, and Defend, Oh My!
Skill: Dribble, Kick, Run
Time Required: 15
Activity Type: Physical
Group Size: Large Group, Medium Group, Small Group
Age Group: 6 - 9yrs, 9 - 12yrs, 13+ yrs
Play area: Gymnasium (large indoor space), Outdoor - Field
Safety Considerations: Remove any safety hazards and obstacles from the play area.
Remind participants to be aware of their surroundings and to keep their head up.
If there are two set ups, be sure they are spaced out.
Equipment: 12 cones (or so)
1 Soccer ball
For participants to practice their passing, dribbling, defending and goaltending in soccer drill.
Please see attached document for example of set up.
Set up 4 pylons on both sides of the area, the participants will weave around these pylons. Each pylon should be around 5 meters or so away from one another, and spaced so participants have to run from side to side.
Between the two weaving stations and close to the start of the weaving stations, place 2 pylons and a soccer ball in between them.
A defender will stand at the top of the weaving stations.
Set up 2 cones behind the defender to create the net, and have a participant start as the goalie.
Step by Step:
1. Have half the participants stand behind one set of weaving pylons and the other half behind the other; these participants are the offensive participants.
2. Select one participant to start as the defender and one to start as the goalie.
3. On the word "Go", or a whistle, or "Oh My", the first offensive participant in each line will start to run and weave around their pylons until they get to the last one.
4. They will then run back and towards the pylons and soccer ball.
5. The first participant will run behind and through the two pylons, but will not touch the soccer ball.
6. The second participant will run behind and through the two pylons and take the soccer ball.
7. Those two participants have to dribble and pass the ball in order to get past the defender and get a shot on net.
8. If the defender steals or intercepts the ball, then that round is over.
9. If the offensive participants get a shot on net, whether it went in or not, that round is over.
10. The goalie will go to the end of the right line, the defender will go to the end of the left line.
11. The participant that was in the left line will become the goalie and the participant that was in the right line will become the defender.
12. The soccer ball will go back between the pylons, and the next two participants will go.
Have to defenders.
Don't have a goalie, set up two cones very close together, and the offensive participants have to get the ball through the cones.
Set up two activities if there are a lot of participant and room.
Have the defender and goalie stay in those positions until each participant has been on offense.
Basketball: Have the same set up, but have a net or something they have to shoot or aim at, and two defenders.
Football/Frisbee: Same set up, and have 1 or 2 defenders. The participant that gets the football has to throw the football to the other participant, who will be the receiver.
Sources: Developed for the Leisure Information Network.