Time Required: 10
Activity Type: Physical, Wellness
Group Size: Large Group, Medium Group, Small Group
Age Group: 9 - 12yrs, 13+ yrs
Play area: Gymnasium (large indoor space), Outdoor - Field
Safety Considerations: Ensure they are on a soft surface incase they fall in the process of the standing up.
Equipment: No equipment necessary
Participants practice their communication skills, by attempting to stand up with their partner from sitting on the ground back to back.
Have the participants get into partners.
Step by Step:
1. Two participants sit back to back with legs stretched out in front of them.
2. Their goal is to stand up together without using their arms.
3. Communication is key in order for them to complete this task.
- What kind of communication occurs in a group?
- How do the group members coordinate and cooperate with each other?
- Who coordinates and who lets themselves be coordinated?
- How can good communication lead to a quicker goal?
The partners can only speak and plan before they start the activity, and then must be silent while trying to stand up.
Have a third participant in the group who leads the two participants attempting to stand up, and only they can speak.
Have them switch partners and try again.
Adaptations (Mobility Impairment):
It may be challenging or not possible for those with a mobility limitation to sit back to back with another participant, or to exercise the dexterity required to collaborate in standing up together. Encourage these individuals to participate to the extent that they can. Consider allowing them to use hands or any additional supports which may help them.
Adaptations (Deafness/Hearing Impairment):
Participants who are deaf or hard of hearing may not be able to communicate verbally. This will add a new dimension and level of challenge to the activity.
Sources: Developed for the Leisure Information Network